The MacNaughton family farm was established in 1905 by Sidney MacNaughton. Sidney, Keith, and third generation Ron MacNaughton milked cows and in 1953 Keith and Ron purchased their first Herefords. In 1965, Keith and Ron sold the dairy cows and the Herefords took over.
Ron took over the farming operation completely in 1983. His son Jeff helped work on the farm while growing up and enjoyed showing Herefords for more than 20 years with his parents. Ron and wife Jill maintain a smaller herd of about 10 cows on the Grand Ledge farm. They still enjoy showing and sell a select few bulls, heifers, and steers. The farm primarily grows corn, soybeans, and wheat. Ron and Jill still bale their share of hay and straw every summer as well.
In 2012, Ron worked with Tim Redder, NRCS District Conservationist, and applied for the Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP). Together they developed a rotational grazing program and Ron is currently working on becoming Michigan Agricultural Environmental Assurance Program (MAEAP) verified in Farmstead and Livestock.
Eaton Conservation District would like to recognize the MacNaughtons for their efforts in protecting our natural resources by awarding them the Cooperator of the Year Award.
Eaton Conservation District
Your Natural Resource Resource